Monday, January 23, 2012

Creamy Baked Potato Soup

I have a lot of cooking fails in the kitchen but this yummy Potato Soup turned out great on a snowy winter day. I don't know where it came from, all I know is my mom makes it all the time. Here is the recipe:

Baked Potato Soup

Soup:

2 c. chicken stock
2 c. milk
4 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. flour
3 bay leaves
1/4 tsp. white pepper (I use black pepper)
1 large Idaho potato or 3 small ones, peeled & finely diced
1/2 tsp. salt

Toppings:

1 c. sour cream
1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 c. green onions, finely sliced
1/2 c. bacon bits
(I have issues with texture so I only use the sour cream and Cheddar cheese)

Cut peeled potatoes into 4 chunks. Add them to boiling water and cook for 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and cut into bite size pieces. Set aside. Heat chicken stock and milk in a large saucepan over medium-high heat to almost boiling. Remove from heat and set aside. Reduce heat to low. In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add flour, stirring constantly, 3 minutes to cook flour and make a roux. Gradually add milk mixture to roux, pouring in a slow steady stream, while stirring vigorously to blend and eliminate lumps. Add bay leaves and pepper. Add diced potato and salt; continue to simmer over low heat 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender and soup thickens. Lightly mash potato in soup and stir to blend well. Pour soup into an ovenproof casserole dish and top with sour cream, Cheddar cheese, green onions, and bacon bits. Stir it all in. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Remove the 3 bay leaves before serving.

Preparation Time: 1 hour

Servings: 4 cups, serving 2 to 4 people

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I miss this soup. I guess I will have to make some soon. Congrats on you cooking win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Mom can make it for you while she is staying up there.

      Delete